Diagnosis and Treatment of Sexual Issues: Counter-Intuitive Approaches
Whether through desire conflicts, chronic dissatisfaction, affairs, or dysfunctions, sexual issues form a large part of every therapist’s practice. This workshop is for psychotherapists of all backgrounds who wish to understand and influence their clients’ sexual functioning and decision-making.
Unfortunately, virtually all of us have grown up in a sex-negative culture, which affects our work as much as it affects our clients’ lives. Participants, therefore, will learn a compelling new model of sexuality that focusses on its positive aspects; challenges clients’ tendencies to self-identify as inadequate; sees society’s sex-negativity as a source of psycho-sexual pathology; confronts ways in which psychotherapy demonizes sexuality; and takes spirituality seriously.
As a result, participants will be able to empower clients to make better sexual choices, function more as they would like to, and better integrate eroticism into their relationships. With plenty of specific case material and time for questions, topics covered include:
- Noticing and challenging clients’ assumptions about sexuality & intimacy
- History-taking & home assignments
- Sex, intimacy, romance, love: understanding the differences & connections
- Myths about sexual desire & desire discrepancies
- Cross-cultural aspects of sexuality
- Dealing with sexual exploitation by empowering clients
- Integrating sex counseling, psychotherapy, & marriage counseling
- Sexual aspects of health issues, including aging, illness, & medications
- How our sexual values affect our work–and often disempower our clients
I love your work as a marriage counselor & as a presenter!
- Sue Johanson, “Talk Sex With Sue”
Your evaluations were above and beyond all of the others’. You did a great job and we look forward to working with you again.
- California Assn. of Marriage & Family Therapists
Increase Your Sexual Intelligence
Receive my monthly newsletter. (Your address is never released--promise.)