One night stand
Q: What’s the best way to make a clean getaway after a one-night stand? You wake up, she’s there, what should you do?
Dr. Klein: You should do what you do, hopefully, in all your other interactions: be gracious, responsible, truthful, and courteous. That means:
- you don’t try to sneak out without waking her.
- you don’t lie and say “I’ll call you.”
- you say “thank you.”
- you express regret that “this isn’t working out.”
- you don’t pick a fight as a way of avoiding having to talk with her.
- you give her a chance to say she’s regretful or angry or whatever (thus, you take responsibility for your decision to have sex with her; if you’re not willing to do this, which can be uncomfortable, you shouldn’t be playing in the first place); you don’t contradict her or defend yourself.
- you say, “I plan to keep our little experience to myself, and hope you will too. I certainly bear you no ill will.”
- you close the door quietly, although not guiltily, on the way out.
You received high ratings on evaluations. Your teaching was edifying and enjoyable; you have my unqualified recommendation.
- Jeff Zeig, Milton Erickson Foundation
We are still hearing positive feedback from our students about your openness and your ability to make sexuality a comfortable topic of discussion.
- University of Cincinnati Wellness Center
Increase Your Sexual Intelligence
Receive my monthly newsletter. (Your address is never released--promise.)