Sexual technique & slang

Q: How do I find out the proper technique for certain female/male encounters? Specifically, how do you perform “French love” or “Greek sex?” I see these terms used so often in magazines, but they never tell you how to do them.

Dr. Klein: “French” is the slang for oral sex. That’s when someone puts their mouth on their partner’s penis or vulva, licking, nibbling, kissing, sucking, and generally messing around. The person being licked can be on his or her back, side, or on top, whichever is most comfortable for both partners. Sometimes one person licks another, sometimes they both do it at the same time (which is also called “69”). It’s very helpful if the person being licked tells you what feels good and what doesn’t. If you’re not sure whether your partner is enjoying what you’re doing, ask.

“Greek” is slang for anal sex. That’s when someone puts a penis, finger, or toy in the other person’s anus (rectum). This must be done slowly and gently, with lots of lubrication. Use something from the store, such as K-Y, Astrolube, Astroglide, or Probe. Saliva is generally not sufficient, since it dries up so quickly. Cooking oil will do in a pinch, but it doesn’t wash out very easily. The key to anal sex is going slowly, and talking while you’re doing it–periodically asking if your partner is comfortable. Also, never put a penis, finger or toy that’s been in an anus into the vagina or mouth without washing it first.